Tuesday, July 31, 2012

my shampoo

i have been trying out homemade shampoo the last couple of weeks. i am crazy, i know! But i love it and i doubt i will go back. i have always had ugly problematic hair. it is not very easy to style, it gets greasy (like, by the end of the day) and it is just blah. i have been hearing that i shouldn't wash my hair everyday for a while and i have a really hard time sticking with washing my hair less, because it is just gross. so, i decided to wash my hair WITH less, simplify.

i saw this post recently, but i had seen this baking soda/vinegar method first a few years ago and this is what i decided to roll with. you may find it weird, but i really like the results. if you decide to do this, you will need to stick with it for longer than a week before you abandon it.i will keep you posted on my own progress. here's the recipe:


shampoo:
1T baking soda
8 oz water
the end
just pour it into a squirt bottle, sqeeze it into your hair, work it in with your fingers and rinse.

conditioner:
1T apple cider vinegar
8 oz water
the end
work this mixture into the ends of your hair first and work it up to the roots. let sit for a few minutes before rinsing.

notes: 

- for me the shampoo lasts about 5 washes and the conditioner lasts 2 weeks.

-i add 3 drops of my lavender essential oil to the conditioner. it helps improve the vinegar smell and is also good for your hair. ashlee says rosemary oil is good for hair too, so i am planning on adding some rosemary to my next batch.

-i use squeeze bottles provided for me at the hospital at the births of my children :) for my mixtures, but you can buy ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles at the store. 

-the shampoo seems to be most effective right after mixing, so i am starting to mix half batches.


1 comment:

  1. Really? I'm so skeptical, but very intrigued!! I'll have to screw up my courage and give it a try, because it looks WAY cheaper than traditional shampoo!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting. i love comments!